Fostering good media relations is often a big part of generating ongoing free publicity for your business.
Just as you would with any important business partnership, it’s important to invest some time and effort in to your media relations strategy.
Some key things to consider include:
- Choose which newspapers, magazines, TV shows or radio programs you’d most like to be featured in and then find a journalist who writes your kind of stories.
- Be selective. You don’t need to have a great relationship with hundreds of journalists. Work on no more than five to 10 key writers around the country.
- Offer interesting story ideas. The key to developing a good relationship with a journalist is to be regularly providing them with great information they can use in stories.
- Be a good source. The information you provide must always be accurate. Plus, you need to be reliable so when they call asking for a comment you provide them with what they need when they need it.
- Don’t become a pest. Contacting a journalist too frequently and you will start to become annoying, making a journalist less likely to want to deal with you.
- Remember that a journalist will always see you as a potential news story. Even if you feel like you’ve developed a great relationship, this is a business arrangement and you must behave accordingly.
To find out exactly how to develop excellent media relations that results in free business promotion on TV and radio, in newspapers and magazines check out my next live seminar How to Generate Free Publicity for Your Business
© Copyright, Bliss Life Trust 2011-2013
Want to use this article on your web site, newsletter or elsewhere? You can as long as you print this blurb in its entirety:
Sue Papadoulis is an inspirational entrepreneur, media coach, engaging speaker and best-selling author who empowers and motivates others to take their game to the next level by using the power of free publicity. Sue is Australia’s leading specialist in helping entrepreneurs generate free publicity. To access her special report “The Five Biggest Secrets to Getting Free Publicity in the Media” plus her secret list of the top online press release distribution sites, visit www.publicityforprofit.com.au